Home
How to find us
Contact us
Facilities
Activities
History
Religious Life
Links
Comments /
Suggestions


Any term All terms

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
A history of Buckden Towers from 1086

1939-1974

During the Second World War the Towers was home to evacuees from the London Blitz and in particular from Tollington School and it was subsequently used a hostel for agricultural workers.

Left to Dr Edleston's sister, who had no use for the property, The Towers was donated to Bishop Leo Parker of the Catholic Diocese of Northampton for charitable purposes. In 1956, the Diocese in turn passed it on to the Claretian Missionaries originally for use as a junior seminary.

The Claretians took possession in 1957 and embarked on restoration work. The inner courtyard was completed, roofing and flooring of the Great Tower in which a new spiral staircase had also to constructed, was undertaken and a new chapel, simple and modern in style yet harmonising well with its surroundings, was built. It was dedicated to St Hugh of Lincoln by Bishop Parker of Northampton in 1959. A modern parish hall to the north of the Victorian House was built and named St Stephen's Hall after Fr. Stephen Emaldia, the Provincial Superior of the Claretians from 1950 to 1962.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9