Home
How to find us
Contact us
Facilities
Activities
History
Religious Life
Links
Comments /
Suggestions


Any term All terms

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
A history of Buckden Towers from 1086

1870 - 1939

The Victorian House, now known as Buckden Towers was built on the north side of the inner courtyard in 1872 by Arthur Wellington Marshall to a design by Robert Edis, (knighted in 1919), the architect of the original Sandringham House. During its construction the Moat was completely filled in.

During the First World War the house was used as a convalescent hospital. After the War, in 1919, it was sold to an eccentric historian from Durham, Dr Robert Holmes Edleston. Although he never lived there, he spent much time excavating and reconstructing parts of the old Bishop's Palace.

He rebuilt the northern half of the Inner Gatehouse, demolished by Marshall, and he was responsible for the inscription "Napoleon III" above the right hand doorway which was to have been the entrance to a small museum of the Emperor's relics.

He also planned to rebuild the old chapel of the Bishops of Lincoln. The foundation stone of this was laid by Canon Wood with holy water, incense and a dedication formula used in the Fifteenth Century by Archbishop Chichele. However, only the crypt was built and this survives as the Lady Chapel between the current Church of St Hugh of Lincoln and the Claret Chapel.



1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9